Monday, February 21, 2022

Slow Old Sleepers

 I no longer fast. I'm no longer young. But, still wide awake a half hour before sunrise, I'm still as much of an insomniac as ever. That's not to say I can't ever fall asleep. That's not to say I can't ever stay asleep. Sometimes I'll sleep off and on for twelve hours, but it's usually in the daylight hours. These times of the day, when it's dark outside and the clock says a.m., have always been my periods of greatest lucidity and creativity. Songs I've crafted, websites I've built, all brain-stakingly constructed under cover of darkness in the still of the night. And here we are again, spinning yarns into the universe for you, constant reader. Over ten years since the previous time, I have found my way back again to this somehow-still-operational corner of the interwebs. I said I'd be here, and here I am. The Russians have locked me out of my LiveJournal and it looks like I'll never get back in. My last post there was 1692 days ago. Hundreds of quality transmissions still sit on that site, for as long as they decide to continue to keep them available. But, who knows? Impersonal businesses are not to be trusted. MySpace went and "accidentally" deleted all of everyone's pictures and music and who-knows-what-else. Facebook and Google have been pretty good so far about continuing to store your data for free, especially since they're making so much money off of it, but that's not likely to always be true. This is still the first time a species has ever done this.. We're still building upward and outward, but that's not to say another Dark Ages couldn't start in a hundred years or tomorrow. Maybe all the data stored all over the world could all-of-a-sudden disappear. What do you still have hard copies of? Printed words on paper, stone, or gold tablets. What's the last photograph you had printed physically? Are you satisfied with the footprints you are leaving behind, digital and otherwise? This site is here right now at least, I'm here to write, and you're here to read. I promise to be back sooner rather than later. I hope that you will too.

No comments: